Monday, June 21, 2010

The KFC special menu and homosexuals

I've been watching episodes of South Park and The Simpsons auf Deutsch on Youtube during the weekend, so I'd probably be learning how to say fuck first auf Deutsch than to say mother in it (or maybe the two of them combined). Nine, kidding aside I found myself still laughing even though 98% of the time I was hearing words that seemed to be typed randomly on the keyboardhfhbfrfybfyrue. The good side is that the remaining 2% of the time I actually recognized words. Similar to the listening exercises we do in class. Those are the hallelujah moments.

I recognized the word entschuldigung! entschuldigung! being shouted by Eric in one of the episodes. I conclude that it could also mean excuse me or pardon me since he was shouting it to get the attention of the noisy bikers. I also understood the phrase KFC spezial Menü or something and the word homosexuell.

I know I won't understand everything, obviously, so it's good to take things into context and be observant of the details that help piece together the crime scene ala Sherlock Holmes. This Nobel prize-worthy conclusion of mine also applies to the latest exercise of trying to comprehend an article written in German.

As for the South Park episode though...the KFC special menu and the homosexuals are enough to make my imagination whirl for now.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing wrong with learning how to say the Schimpfwörter first when learning a language. In fact, some people would recommend it. At least you'll be able to tell when you're being insulted. :)

    ReplyDelete